Skip to content
muscle in lower leg felt like a rubber band snapping
An_227285 posted:
Not sure if I need to go see a Dr. or not but I can not put any real weight on my leg. I was bowling on the wii on my stride forward it felt like the muscle snapped in my lower leg. I have had the tendons in my hand and wrist pop before but it did not hurt afterwards. This hurts to the point that I can not walk without limping. What should I do?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Anytime you can't put weight on a leg-it sounds like time to go to the doctor.

kega12 responded:
If that sound was audible, and I'm guessing it was, then you have most likely torn the muscle or tendon. I did the same thing last summer in the garden when I went to push off with a wheelbarrow full of stone. There was an audible "POP". I actually thought that someone had hit me in the calf with a rock. A trip to the emergency room confirmed the damage. Had to use crutches initially and then I wore a boot similiar to a ski boot. This helped tremendously, but I hate to tell you that it was at lesat 8 weeks before I was good to go for a lengthy walk again. I'd suggest a visit to your family doctor for sure. Good luck!

Sheryl1670 responded:
Thanks for the post and all the responses. The 'rubber band' just snapped in my calf. Now i know what to do, darn it!!

vickibe replied to Sheryl1670's response:
I had a similar injury in the last two days, although I did not HEAR anything, I just felt the snap. I have since had swelling in my calf, around my chin, and today it seems to have moved to my ankle. I have used ice as often as possible, along with ibuprophen. Does this sound familiar to anyone else who has experienced this type of injury?

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center