Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Racquetball - Wrist pain.
nobody102 posted:
47 y.o. male - About three months ago, I started developing pain in my wrist after playing raquetball. The pain was not persistent, only ocurred when flexing my wrist in certain ways. I tried using a brace and resting it for a week, it felt better. Next week, tried to play again, and the pain started up again after playing. This went on for about 2 months. During that time, I stopped playing, took some NSAIDS. My wrist was better. Then tried to play again, pain came back. I then decided to see an Ortho. Took x-rays, did not see any problems with the bones, arthritis, etc. Doc thinks it is soft-tissue injury. Put me on Celebrex for 2 weeks, and a more sturdy brace. I only took the meds for a week - it tore up my stomach. Today, after two week's rest, I went to play two games. I was wearing a McDavid Wrist compression bandage while playing. I iced the wrist afterwards. The pain is worse now. It is ocurring on the side closest to my pinky. The pain is worst when I flex my wrist either up or down at an extreme angle. Now the pain exhibits when doing daily activities such as brushing my teeth etc. I am supposed to see the doc next week for a followup. Any sugesstions to discuss with him would be appreciated. Someone told me to look at getting a cortisone shot. I am very discouraged, because I do not want to give up playing, but am not sure what a good next step is to get the underlying problem diagnosed. Thanks.

DUKE MEDICINE
Blake Boggess, DO responded:
You are doing the right thing by following up with your physician. You may need a MRI to further evaluate the ligaments and cartilage in you wrist. A TFCC tear can be pretty painful for raquet sports athletes.

nobody102 replied to Blake Boggess, DO's response:
Well I went back to the Ortho after a few weeks. I tried playing, and still have pain afterwards. It is not super-painful, maybe a 5 out of 10, when playing, but still hurts for several days after playing. I can't imagine i tore something, as the pain goes away after several days of rest. He said that the only reason to get an MRI would be to see if there was soft-tissue damage, and then, only if I would plan to have it fixed via surgery. I don't make a living playing RB, so there is no way ever, that I would consider getting my wrist cut open. So, I think my options are: suck it up, or stop playing. Doc. did not discuss any excercises.

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center