Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Upperhamstring/lower glute pain
googler08 posted:
So I've started working out seriously again after a couple years of intermintant exercising. I do kettlebell exercises as well as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training.

After about 2 weeks, I decided to start sparring. This was last Wednesday. I haven't done any exercising since. The next day, my upper back was extremely sore...right under my left shoulder blade and up to my actual shoulder. Painful, but not debilitating. Some massaging and sleeping on tennis balls/pressure has really relieved the pain and it is almost non-existent now.

However, the following Tuesday, I woke up and my upper left hamstring/lower glute was in extraordinary pain. Mind you, I hadn't actually done any exercising at this point for over 5 days.

Since then (all this week), I cannot stretch it because it hurts so much.

I drive a stick shift, and every time I shift gears I cringe in pain. The process of sitting down hurts. Once seated, I'm fine. And when I stand, I need to rest and hold my position as the muscles seem to tighten up the moment I get up. I can't move for a few seconds.

Walking is painless. It's only when I get up, sit down, or shift gears that hurts. But it is extreme pain.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
David Berkoff, MD responded:
Piriformis syndrome can present lie this, you could have a proximal hamstring tendinopathy or even sciatica although without symptoms radiating down your leg this is less likely. I would see a physical therapist and get some good stretching exercises to see if you can work it out, if not helping go get a proper diagnosis from a specialist. COming back to JiuJitsu and Kettlebell after a few years rest can be a real problem if you are not careful. "a few years" is a long time to detrain muscles and tendons and leave you a lot weaker than you thought you were.

Good Luck

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 42 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center