Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Knee pain is normal?
An_227338 posted:
In November 2009 I woke up and my knee felt really stiff, like something was out of place, it just came on sudden, I hadn't done anything before that day to cause an injury. I tried to walk it off and a few days later as I was walking around a corner my knee gave out and I went down, there was a loud pop and it hurt so bad I felt sick and saw stars for a few minutes. I went to the emergency room because it was swelling, they did an X-ray and my patella was on the inside of my knee. They made me an appointment for a Sports Medicine Dr the next day. I went to him and he gave me a knee brace to wear until my next appt which was about 6 weeks. He said there appeared to be some damage to my LCL and maybe my Quad as there has been a lump there since I fell. The brace came off and I had this constant aching and the knee felt weak and there was pain on the outside of my leg from thigh to shin. I went to physical therapy for three months, I was very obedient and did my exercises and the thigh to shin pain went away and my knee now feels stable but I still had the constant ache. I went to another Dr because I was now 7 months after what I consider to be a minor injury and I still had constant pain. He did an MRI and it came back normal and he told me to keep doing my physical therapy as these things take time. 10 years ago I used to run 5 miles a day, every day, since having my kids I only walked about 5 miles a day, now if I do anything more than my normal day to day walking I have a lot of pain the next day in the back of my knee and on the inside, even if I don't do any walking my knee feels stiff like there is a tight rubber band stretched on the outside of it and it is hard to bend, like there is jello or a pillow or something under the patella that wants it not to bend. When I walk too much and too much is a walk through the mall, 2 hours at the fair or a 1 mile walk, it gets tired and my leg starts to drag. I am very frustrated at this point because I have been doing physical therapy since January and it still hurts and I am interpreting from what the Dr is telling me that I am going to have this pain for the rest of my life and I will never be able to participate in an active life again, I am only 34, I have a lot of years left and I don't want to spend them sitting and watching everyone else. I have lost faith in physical therapy, it worked in the beginning but it is doing nothing now. Is there anything else I can or should do at this point? I am not looking to go to a third Dr, I am sure the MRI did not lie, I just want it to stop hurting.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Knee pain is tough and often happens to women. Something that helps some people with knee pain is Tai Chi. Here is a quiz about How much is Knee Pain Affecting Your Life? Take it and take it to the doctor. You can get help in managing the chronic knee pain.

Here also is a link to our Knee Pain Health Center with a wealth of information for you.
~Louise

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center