Skip to content
Rib issues
mar3423 posted:
Approx 3 weeks ago I took a hit during a lacrosse game. Instantly I felt pain in my ribs and was finding it difficult to even take a step. I have since had 2 separate x rays done, both were negative. I was at work and had to sneeze, after I sneezed I was absolutely paralized with pain. It felt as though my rib cage had just been ripped out. I could not move as if I did the pain would increase. It almost felt like a muscle cramp. That incident happened 4 days ago and I am still feeling the effects although not as intense. What is the issue and how can I address it. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Youch! I hope you went back to the doctor. How are you doing now?

Bruised ribs can take a long time to heal but you definitely need to see a doctor again. It could be an unrelated lung issue on top of the bruised ribs.
~Louise

mar3423 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I did not go back to the doctor again, I figured if they came up with the same answer twice then there was nothing more I could do. I did however go and see a physiothereapist who spent a little more time in the diagnosis. You are somewhat correct, I was told that there is a gelly like substance at the impact site and that it would appear that the bruise went very deep and affected my lung as well.
Thank you for your response.

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center