Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Prolotherapy - Is the DOCTOR in??????
bren_bren posted:
A few months ago I posted a response to the Dr. about PRP and Prolotherapy - he had created a poll that asked readers their opinions about this sort of therapy.

I am writing to him, and others who have had experience, about prolotherapy (It prompts healing in ligaments, tendons, and cartilage, and it supporsedly is more effective in curing pain caused by damaged, unhealed connective tissue).

I suffer from horrible pelvic pain that is relative to a disc bulge at L5 S1, SI joint dysfunction, pudendal neuralgia, and various other "diagnosees".

The problem with my inability to get a diagnosis and the appropriate treatment has exhausted me. I used to by a cyclist and I think this all started after slipping off of my pedal and crashing down on my bike saddles. I continued to ride anyway, then played tennis the next day. It felt like a serious hamstring pull at first, then sciatica, then low back pain accompanied by burning down my left leg.

I feel that I have damaged the ligaments there, then after compensating for the pain on my left side, I was limping and sitting oddly for some time.

Prolotherapy makes sense to me; however, I went out of state for my first session and it was incredibly painful. I received around 20 injections into the various ligaments and tendons within my pelvis and lumbar spine. The shot had lidocaine, dextrose, and some other med. The lidocaine did not work - I have to get like 4-6 shots at the dentist before he can drill - and since it didn't work, he tried 2 other combinations to no avail.

I want ANYONE who has had an experience, or knows someone who has had this procedure done, to share their story because I could really use some positive input now. The visit was over $700 cash and my insurance doesn't cover it. The next visit will be minus the initial 1st time consulation fee, but I fear it will be around $500. Before I wipe out my savings (my husband is the only one who is working now), I would like to know if this is too steep of a price?? I trust that the doc knows what he is doing, he used to be a spine surgeon, however it seems a bit flaky because he mentioned it would take 6-10 treatments 1 time a month.

Please, someone tell me I'm not pursuing something that is going to create more problems (ie. scar tissue), and eventually lead to more complications in regard to my chronic pain.

Thanks for your time, Bren

DUKE MEDICINE
David Berkoff, MD responded:
Prolotherapy does work for some people and not for others. It is typically a cash procedure and it typically takes multiple sessions to get things better. What is used and how the injections are done is very variable. There is no data out there to guarantee you success and the impact to the wallet is very real. THere a a ton of people who have had relief and I would recommend looking on the web for someone in your area who is both knowledgeable in prolo and spine. Sounds like this first doc was a reasonable choice. You can alway see out a second opinion but in the end no one will guarantee you success. Chronic pelvic pain is tricky and unless they can figure out which structures are causing the pain your success may be limited.
Getprolo.com is a good site that lists prolo docs nationwide.Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center