Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Alternative to surgery for ankle ligaments torn?
An_227347 posted:
9 months ago I sprained my ankle and tore 2 ligaments. I have been following up with my general practitioner and orthopedist surgeon. My ankle is still very unstable
I have seen my GP last night and he told me that I could have surgery to tightened the ligaments but it isn't very effective and that if I do nothing I could have degenerative arthritis in the future. I am awaiting to see the orthopedist.
I do not want to have surgery if it'll cause more problems and I do not want arthritis either. I am 31 years old and my ankle can't stay like this for the rest of my life.
Does anyone know of alternative to surgery for ankle ligament tears?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_22455,

How did the orthopedist go? Did he/she present you with any alternative options? Crossing my fingers

- Amelia

jusim81 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hello Amelia,

Thanks for your reply!

The orthopedist said that the only other option is to wear a brace most of the time in hope that the ligaments tighten on their own but I have been doing it since April. He said to keep doing it until March of next year. If the ligaments don't tighten, then I'll have to have surgery.

In the mean time, I am wondering if getting a second opinion from a podiatre would help?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to jusim81's response:
It never HURTS to get more than one opinion! Go ahead, so you don't have any regrets about searching every avenue for treatment options. The worse thing that can happen is you find nothing new and continue to wear the brace, but at least you did all that you could in researching for your health. My fingers are still crossed! Please keep us posted on how things go!
Good luck

Calideb replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have been hurting my right ankle for 6 years and had ankle surgery in March. Unfortunately I wound up with blood clots in my lungs, I am now on Coumadin and am struggling to get that stable. Anyhow, 5 weeks ago, I twisted my ankle again and fell this time. I finally had a MRI and my talefisular (spelling) ligament is totaly gone. So I guess once again I have to have surgery. I am petrified, however I need my ankle I ride horses and am just an all around gotta go person. Any advice for keeping the clots away???

jusim81 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hello Amelia,

My GP sent me to another Orthopedist and he has a different whole different opinion than the first othopedist. He said that all of my symptoms might be due to a bone fragment that is loose due to a chipped bone. He said that I might need an arthroscopy procedure to remove it or it might go on its own. He's sending me for an MRI to see what's going on. I had many X-rays done, bone scan and CT scan but not the MRI. The waiting list is 2-3 months for the MRI. I will know then what to do. Good news is that I won't have to wear a brace for the rest of my life.

Thanks for your interest!

conewatcher replied to jusim81's response:
I would see a podiatrist. I tore a lot of the ligaments out of my ankle about 15 months ago & saw multiple orthos, including one that was considered the best reconstruction ortho in the region. They didn't know what was wrong or how to fix it. I got in with a pod. & he knew exaclty why I had pain everywhere. He did stress x-rays that showed how bad my ankle really was. I had an MRI done before I saw him & it showed nothing on mine. I will be having surgery in a week. Just make sure that if the MRI doesn't show anything, don't give up. Surgery may be the best thing, the brace gets really old, especially when you still have pain all day every day.

Samsnede responded:
I have had chronic problems with my ankle as well and was just told that I need surgery to fix the Post Traumatic Arthritis of the Ankle, Osteochondral lesions, anterior ankle impingement that i was diagnosed with. I have been seeking alternative options as well. A few interesting options I have found include:

Prolotherapy:
http://www.prolotherapyinstitute.com/ankle-pain-treatment-htm.htm

Regenexx:
http://www.regenexx.com/the-regenexx-procedures/ankle-surgery-alternative/

I'm not sure how reliable these are but just a few options to look into.

I'm 31 as well and am looking for a long term solution so I can be healthy and active for years to come.

All the best!

jusim81 replied to Samsnede's response:
This post is really old but I am the one posted it originally. I ended seeing a third ortho as the second one left his practice before my follow up after the MRI.

The third ortho doc was specializing in foot and ankle and it made all the difference.

My problem was that I had a talar fracture that went undiagnosed and it resulted in cartilage damage. I underwent arthroscopy last summer to remove a cartilage flap.

I am a kickboxer and 2 months after surgery I was medically cleared to start training and 4 months after surgery I was fighting. I am now training 9 hours a week in kickboxing, tae kwon doe and jiu jit-su.

I hope you'll find a solution to your problems and don't give up.

All the best!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to jusim81's response:
Thanks for checking back in! I'm glad you found the problem and the solution.

Best of luck with your training -

Haylen

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center