Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
knee gave out and foot turned sideways during jumping jacks
justmejust posted:
My 13 year old daughter was doing jumping jacks in gym class and her right knee gave out and the foot turned sideways. Lately she's favoring the leg and limping a little with pain. She continues to walk and continues gym class. A few weeks earlier her knee and then her hip were hurting.

Dr. says to walk on it and to sit with feet flat on the floor. After 4 days of ibuprofin, Dr. is now having us reduce the amount gradually but it is still painful in her hip or sometimes again in the knee where the pain began.

Nothing showed on hip x-ray or blood test. Doc says 3 of 4 movements of her thigh cause pain.

Could it be something as simple as muscle or ligament strain? She can not recall any particular injury when the pain started weeks ago before the knee gave out.

DUKE MEDICINE
Blake Boggess, DO responded:
If if was a simple strain it should be getting better. There can be a number of conditions that cause pain in this area. When you follow up with your physician, they may order and MRI or send you to an orthopedist.

justmejust replied to Blake Boggess, DO's response:
Thank you. She is feeling better, and I am so glad for your response. It took more than five weeks which seemed like a very long time.

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center