Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Long term effects of head injuries
ashandbsmom posted:
I was wondering what types of studies have been done to track the effects of head injuries. My father played football at the high school and Division 1 college level in the 70's and is now having problems remembering things short term and is becoming aggressive toward people he is close to. At times he is very disoriented and slurs his speech. I was just wondering if the lack of proper equipment and things of the past can cause problems now and how do we diagnose and treat this?

jusim81 responded:
I don't want to discourage you, but my great uncle had similar symptoms and he was disagnosed with alzheimer's disease. Maybe someone close to him should go to the Dr. with him and explain his behavior.

An_227369 responded:
Time to get a diagnosis. I agree that some of these may be signs of Alzheimer's. If so, you'll need to get more information, medical and community support.

But his symptoms could also be warning signs of stroke which should be handled as a medical emergency for a better outcome. See the reference to speech and confusion
http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3483937/k.772A/Stroke__Warning_Signs.htm
A good diagnosis is the place to start. Good luck. (My Dad had both.)

Diagnostician responded:
I agree with the most recent post. This is beyond my scope of practice as a PT but not beyond my personal experience of having a parent with onset of dementia at the age of 60 that has been diagnosed as alzheimer's disease. There are a couple of medications that may help in the early to middle stages. We are not convinced that either one made a difference. Diagnosis was made by the primary MD and also with a visit to 2 neurologists. At first, most people we knew said it was just stress or depression. My father and I knew differently. Head injuries can lead to memory issues. There is no data that I know of that makes a direct relationship between alzheimer's and head injury. Your father needs to see a physician ASAP to get to the root of this problem.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center