Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
FEMORAL STRESS FRACTURE
THERESEQ65 posted:
Dear Dr.,
A very good friend of my daughter is a distance runner in college. She just had an MRI and they found a stress fracture. This is her second one. She had one in high school just before States and her father convinced her to just run through the pain. Not good....anyway, I'm told by her mother that she is just not flexible as far as stretching. She can't even bend at the hips and touch fingertips to floor. Is it possible that her inflexibility is the cause of the repeated stress fractures?

DUKE MEDICINE
David Berkoff, MD responded:
no, these are related to over use, hormonal and nutritional problems. These are not uncommon in young females who are overtraining. Her doc neds to address the female athlete triad with her and her parents to begin to identify why she is ahving these recurrent stress fractures. Femoral stress fractures cannot be ignored as the outcomes can be horrible if they are.

Fieldj replied to David Berkoff, MD's response:
Dr. Berkoff,

My 22 year old daughter was diagnosed with lateral femoral cordyle fracture and I would like to know what the consequences are if she continues to play basketball on it. I have been told that she can play as long as she can take the pain but I would like to know if she can do any permanent damage. What would be the recommended course of treatment with this injury?

Thank you.

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center