Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
persistent pain from groin pull
An_227385 posted:
I am a 61 year old reasonable fit woman who injured my groin muscles on the left side 9 months ago (in a fitness class) - I still have pain. The more I do, as in walking and climbing stairs, - the more pain. The less I do, the less pain, however, it never completely goes away. Stepping into a car, climbing stairs, etc all hurt. It is better than it was, but still hurts. I do not know if there is any point in going back to PT - it did not help before as they kept thinking it was a hip problem. Xrays showed nothing
Is MRI for labral tear necessary ? How long can a recovery take for this and should I be doing exercises or just restingt it ?

KarenRO responded:
Hi! I noticed your post and have a similar situation. I pulled the groin muscle on my right side back in August and I still have intermittent pain across the pelvic region to my bellybutton, especially when dismounting from my horse. I can go for days without any pain and then one wrong move and it is back. I've been told that soft tissue injuries can take a very long time to heal but this is getting annoying! So, while I have no medical advice for you, I do share your frustration. Maybe one of the medical experts will answer soon.

Tomato05 responded:
I also had a groin pull about 3 years ago, and I'm afraid it niggled me for about 1 to 1 1/2 years, on and off. I still have to be careful with the type of leg exercises I do.

It didn't stop me from exercising though, and I just adjusted what I did. I think the continued exercise helped me with the healing process.

DeadManWalking57 responded:
Anon:

Wish I had replied earlier. The so-called groin muscles are smaller muscles at the top of the thigh and into the hip and pelvis that move the thigh up, in and out. While sore, consider a creative elactic bandage wrap to help pull your thigh upwards, relieving the muscles of some of the work.

When in pain or re-aggravated, use an ice pack (or 2 lbs frozen peas in the bag) for 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off for a day or two, as much as you can. With the 3rd day onward, GENTLE heat to stimulate circulation, also 15 minutes on and 15 off.. You caould also go 15 min heat, 15 min rest, 15 min ice, 15 min rest, and 15 min heat.

A healing muscle does not like being stretched, so you'll need to shorten your stride and slow down walking. Once pain free, week by week start to do more with it. Try to keep it wrapped for additional warmth.

Any twinges when exercising, back off. You don't want to go back to square one.

A running coach at a shoe store noticed how I aggravate mine. After a bad pull, it bothered me off and on for 20 years. Turns out as I tire running, I don't lift my foot as high as I swing my leg forward. So the lever of my leg is longer, effectively inrcreasing the weight the groin muscle needs to swing forward. Now I know that when the muscle starts to hurt, i am not lifting my foot enough, so I focus on using my hamstrings more to swing my foot higher, shortening the leg and reducing the weight for the groin muscle. The pain disappears in a couple steps.

So gradual re-use, then try to do extra strengthening, and understand how to reduce the workload on the muscle. If your legs are heavy, you may want to start a weight loss program, so that effort all over is reduced.

Helpful Tips

Ankle sprain prevention
There is a new school of thought emerging on how to prevent ankle sprains. A new training device called "The Shifter" has shown to increase ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center