Skip to content
Muscle atrophy after knee injury
An_227396 posted:
Doctor,

I have worn the meniscus (right knee) to almost bone on bone. For eight weeks I backed off on normal workouts, using only light stationary cycling to keep my knee flexible. I have had cortisone injections and Synvisc to reduce the pain. It is becoming obvious that knee replacement surgery is not far off. Here is the question, I have lost substantial size and strength in my right quad - which I assumed I can regain after knee replacement. My doc mentioned that I can regain strenght but is it common that the muscle mass of the quad (related to the injured knees) will not regain its original size. This seems odd, what causes this kind of structural change of the muscle? I am guessing that most athlete types assume that we can rebuild muscles after injury/illnees, but apparently not to the extent we imagined. This is interesting and counter-intuitive.

Thank you for your time.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center