Skip to content
New pain after ankle injury.
An_227447 posted:
Some backround information first:I had a pretty severe sprain to my right ankle back on the 25th of February. I stepped on the side of my foot, heard the popping sound, and went down pretty quick after that. Went to the emergency room and it wasn't broken, but I had tremendous pain and swelling and couldn't put weight on that ankle. After a week with crutches, I was moving around better and could put some weight on the ankle and at the recommendation of my doctor, started physical therapy a week later. I did physical therapy for 4 weeks and was able to put full weight on my ankle by the end of it, though, the swelling didn't go down as much as they would have liked, but since everything else was in the normal range, they decided i was done with physical therapy. I have had much trouble with it since, occasional aches and pains, but nothing that prevented me from walking.

So yesterday, almost 2 and a half months later, I felt a sharp pain from my ankle up the side of my leg to about half way up my calf. I was sitting down at the time and figured I must have just moved it funny, and ignored it, but it has been getting progressivly worse since then. When I woke up this morning, I was back to not being able to put all my weight on that ankle again. Every time i do, it sends shooting pain up through my calf. I had to wrap my ankle this morning for support because it was hurting so bad. I took over the counter pain medication last night and this morning and it did nothing.

Is this normal for an ankle sprain to start hurting randomly? Is this something a doctor needs to look at or is there some kind of home treatment to help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

jusim81 responded:
Dear Anon,

I've had a severe ankle sprain with 2 ligaments torn 16 months ago and managed to crack a bone at the same time. So from my experience, a severe ankle sprain may take up to 3-4 months to heal.

You mentioned a popping sound, from what I learned this past year and few months; often a popping sound means that ligaments are torn and a cracking sound means that there might be a fracture. But it is NOT always true. When I had my injury, I heard a cracking sound and felt it too.

You didn't mention if you were icing it, if you aren't try it, it may help a lot with the swelling and inflammation. Wearing shoes with a good arch support may help, if you aren't.

Other than that, you may need to go back to your Doctor or Physical therapist.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center