Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bursitis and adolescent anterior knee pain
Monkeymorgan posted:
I'm 16 and for 3 years I've been told I have adolescent anterior knee pain. Recently I went to a rheumatologist and he diagnosed bursitis. He started me on some anti-inflamitories. So far I haven't seen a difference. In a couple of weeks I go back and he wants to drain both knees and inject some cortisone. I had steroids injected into my pinky earlier this year and saw no difference. Are steroids and cortisone shots the same? What can I do to help my knees? I do karate and pretty much anything else I want and power through the pain. But by that evening I can't hardly stand. My left has started to heal I think. It hurts less and less often. It doesn't hardly ever give out. But my right is constant pain and gives out multiple times a day. It also swells like no other. Ice doesn't help and it actually makes my knees hurt to remain in the same position for more than about 2 minutes. Any advice?

DUKE MEDICINE
Blake Boggess, DO responded:
You are correct in that a cortisone shot and steroid shot are the same thing. Did your Rheumatologist do any bloodwork? The most common form of anterior knee pain is a condition called patella femoral syndrome. This is not usually associated with knee swelling however.

Monkeymorgan replied to Blake Boggess, DO's response:
Yes he did blood work and everything was normal. I had a steroid shot in my pinky at the beginning of the year and it didn't work. Since it didn't work in such a small joint should I expect it to work in a larger joint?

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center