Skip to content
Healing after an infection, occuring after screws and/or a plate(s) are used to mend a broken ankle.
SEXIANGI posted:
Just over 3 months ago, I had an accident on my bicycle. I dislocated and broke my right ankle in 4 places. Three days later an orthopedic surgeon had to put 9 screws and a plate in it, in order to fix the damage. Just when he said I could start puting some weight on it, it became severely infected where my outer ankle bone is located. I then had to undergo 10 days of 2 visits per day (every 12 hours) IV antibiotics, for an hour and a half each session. At the end of the treatments, my surgeon said that it was healing and looking fine and he'd see me again in 8 weeks. That was 2 weeks ago.Now the spot where the infection drained out, where a nickle-sized scab had formed and then was partially torn off, is not looking very well to me. A cream colored layer has formed over the top of the area, which is soft and jelly-like in texture. It doesn't seem to be seeping too much, as far as I can tell. To avoid going back to my surgeon yet again, i've been pouring Hydrogen Peroxide over it daily, for the past 5 days. Am I doing the right thing, or is there some other form of treatment that would better suit my condition?

Take the Poll

I had ankle surgery (9 screws and a plate were put in) just over 3 months ago. Just after my cast was removed, an infection formed.Now after it's gone, what should I put on the open wound left at the drainage spot? Should I continue with Hydrogen Peroxide or something else?
  • continue using hydrogen peroxide
  • see my doctor
  • something else
  • soak in warm water with epsom salts
View Poll Results
jusim81 responded:
If I would be you I would call the surgeon's office and they might be able to help you. The best person to give you help is the person that knows your condition.

Helpful Tips

Running ShoesExpert
Remember to replace your running shoes every 300-400- miles or every 6 months. Many running related injuries are due to worn out footwear. More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 42 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center