Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tendon strengthening
An_227461 posted:
Can you just describe what tendon strengthening in the hand/wrist will involve. Will there be a special brace or cast that most be woren after surgery? Thank you for your time!

marieh9 responded:
Do you have tendonitis or carpal tunnel? I had tendonitis and they had me first try to lower the pain with NSAIDs, then later they used a topical steroid using iontophoresis (like electrophoresis with a steroid patch) and had me do some stretches and massage. The massage supposedly breaks up some of the tissue that gets tight in the forearm and i have De Quervains tendonitis on my right hand. They told me to bend the thumb and gently pull the thumb at the joint downward to stretch the tendon. It hurt some but it gets better with time. They also had me squeeze my hands in a ball and other exercises like that. It is basically to try and get more movement in the area where the tendon is inflammed or stuck. Then I progressed to 1 lb weights to lift with the hand using the wrist etc. and clay putty to squeeze. At home I also used cold water bath then warm water, 5 cycles ending in cold water to get the inflammation down. You can use ice after surgery until it is ok to use heat then you use ice, heat same thing. A brace for a short time only until the stiches are gone. Many doctors don't like a brace but it can help for a couple of weeks. Beware your grip strength will lessen until you recover. I have chronic tendonitis and the surgery was 50:50. A cortisone shot into the 1st dorsal compartment helped a lot.
hope this helps.
marieh9

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center