Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sports Ankle Injury
srlmom posted:
So, I was playing soccer 3 weeks ago and got kicked on the inside of my right ankle really hard. I continued to play through the rest of the game. When I got home, I took off my shin guards (with the stirrup ankle guards) and the ankle bandage I wear for support reasons and it started swelling and was already bruised. I saw my doctor three days later and he said that because I could stand on it and put weight on it that I was fine. It was bruised and would heal with time. No x-rays were done. I have been doing my normal routines including playing soccer, but am concerned because my ankle is still bruised and is VERY tender to touch in that area - 3 weeks later. If it is bumped too hard I would give it an 8 on a pain scale of 1-10. General walking and exercise is uncomfortable but definitely tolerable.
Is this normal? Is it really just a bruise and I am okay, or could there be an underlying issue there that I will regret not taking care of as I continue to get older? I am not typically the complaining kind when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I am concerned that this is still lingering after 3 weeks. Should I seek a second oinion or wait it out some more?

jusim81 responded:
First off, I would insist on getting some imaging done if I were you. I had a fracture and I could walk and stand on it without pain but 20 months later I am still having problems with my ankle and I don't wish that to anyone. Good luck

Helpful Tips

My Easy Fix
I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center