Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Stomach Bulge
    William803 posted:
    I am a 67 year old male who excercises 5-6 days per week. Weights and cardio(treadmill)are prmary excercises. When I do crunches or sit ups, I get a verticle bulge in the center of my belly(I do have belly fat!)thatgoes from below breast bone to naval. Pushing on stomach muscles at rest produces a similar bulge. What is this bulge?
    steven1957 responded:
    I am a 54 year old male, with the same concern. When I enter the sit-up position, I've pressed on the budge and found it is soft- whereas the muscles on either side are much firmer. I have been going to the gym for 6 mos at 2-3 times/week, focusing on 20 minute random cardio (walk 1mile/ride 4 miles); abs & back weight training (3 x 15 reps.).
    William803 responded:
    Showed bulge to PCP during recent visit. He states this is a hernia. Remedy is minor corrective surgery. He states this is not serious and only a cosmetic issue. Surgery is optional.

    Helpful Tips

    Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center