Skip to content
Pelvis/Groin injury
An_240860 posted:
My daughter, a gymnast has another injury. Trying to decide if it is a groin muscle or pelvis muscle/fracture. How long do I have her rest, heat and ice before having an X-ray. What treatment will either require?

Take the Poll

What is the advised treatment?
Will working out further injure a pelvis fracture?
  • Heat and ice alone?
  • X-ray necessary?
vote
View Poll Results

kogirl04 responded:
Just a heads up, if it is a stress fracture in the pelvic bone you need to have an xray prior to anymore activity. I am an avid distance runner and after a fall down my stairs 3 weeks ago suffered what I thought was a groin pull. I spent 2 weeks resting but finally broke down this week as the pain increased when I started trying ti get active again. Turns out it is fracture clear through the left side of the pelvic bone and I am on crutches putting NO weight on the left leg for the next 6-8 weeks. REST is the only thing that will heal a stress fracture. You'll risk the fracture dislodging with any activity and I believe if that happens it will require surgery. I know this will not make her happy- I myself had to pull out of 2 races, one being my first marathon at Disney in Jan. BUT, if I'm easy on it and it heals completely, then I should be able to return to running distance after easing back into training.

DeadManWalking57 responded:
See my other response on groin pull.

Unequal foot kick behind the athlete results in a longer working lever and more stress on the hip flexor, preventing it healing, or causing re-injury.

An athlete training hard can take a week off with no loss of fitness. Everything heals and they are fully rested. A persistent injury like this needs extra care so the athlete can return 100%.
Understanding cause of recurrence will prevent it becoming a chronic problem, ruining the athlete's career.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center