Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Knee Injury Question
    jj1437 posted:
    Yesterday I was jumping out of the way of a runaway golf ball, when I landed my right knee completely gave out with a sharp pain on the outside and back of the knee. The pain has subsided since then and there is no swelling(that I can tell) but I cannot straighten my leg and walk with a limp. The pain is nothing more then a dull ache, but it is fairly uncomfortable. Did I do major damage/should I get it checked right away, or wait a couple of more days to see if it subsides. This isn't the first time my knee has given out on me either fyi. Thanks
    An_227471 responded:
    this happened to me recently while playing soccer. I didnt want to get it checked because like you, I didnt think it would be serious. After 2 weeks of the pain i realized it might be more than some pain. Turns out, i tore my ACL. use a lot of ice to calm the pain. that works for me best. try to stay away from sports for a while and rest your leg as much as possible. if you go get it checked you will need an MRI...if not, rest a lot and when your leg is better [that you can tell> use a stationary bike....
    tyson123 replied to An_227471's response:
    I have the same thing since a month ago, I just wen to the orthopedics office they performed a mri and they determined that I may need surgery,is the surgery necessary? or I can live with this injury without further consequences?

    Blake Boggess, DO replied to tyson123's response:
    Tearing your ACL does not mean you have to have ACL reconstruction surgery. The ACL does stabilize your knee and without it, you would continue to have symptoms of your knee giving out on you. I have a few patients that have decided to use a functional knee brace and have done fairly well. Most however choose to have the reconstructions surgery.
    jj1437 replied to Blake Boggess, DO's response:
    So is that what I did? Do I have an ACL injury?
    Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to jj1437's response:
    You will need to see your doctor in order to get a diagnosis.
    undefined replied to Blake Boggess, DO's response:
    How do you cure atrophy?

    Helpful Tips

    Hydration and the HeatExpert
    Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center