Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
rolled ankle
mommaxeli posted:
I rolled my ankle during my run last night. There was minimal immediate pain. In fact, I was able to finish another 1.5 miles of running with just a little stiffness/soreness. Not much more than I usually have at the end of my long runs.

The pain worsened when I got home and rested. I was able to limp through the night but this morning I could barely walk on it. I could take a few steps at a time if I walked on the side of my foot or toes and limped. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen, and that has helped quite a bit. I am almost able to walk on it normally (still with some pain).

There is no bruising and very little, if any swelling. Is this something I should see the doctor about? Or can I treat it like a sprain on my own? I considered a fracture but thought there should be bruising and swelling with that.

jusim81 responded:
I have had a small surface fracture to my talus (ankle bone) while rolling it and felt a crack, pain and it swelled immediately after the injury. If you rolled your ankle and kept running on it, then I would think it's quite normal that you're experience pain and stiffness especially in the morning. If I would be you I would try home treatment a little while longer unless your symptoms persist or are getting worse.

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center