Skip to content
Ice bath for pre-teen before football?
elkhunter343 posted:
I have a 12 year old son who plays football. Living in the "valley of the sun" I worry he will get heat exhaustion when practice and games are played in temperatures in excess of 100 degrees.

I was told by a friend (who has played pro football for several years) that it would be benificial for my son to take a short ice bath before he has practice or game. This will help to bring down his core temp and keep him for over heating during the 2 hour practice.

Will this work? And is it healthy?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Elkhunter,

Please speak with your family doctor about this technique before trying it on your son. I would hate for this to have any bad side effects on him, so please don't take a chance.

Here are some articles that may also help in preparing for football in the heat:
New Advice for Keeping Young Athletes Safe in the Heat
Tips to Work Out Safely in the Heat
Protecting Your Child from Dehydration and Health Illness

Please keep us posted on what your doctor thinks and take care of yourself and your son.
Amelia

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center