Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Left gluteal muscle atrophy
ocicat37 posted:
Hello.

I began experiencing left hip joint pain 2 days ago. I am an active woman and work out 4 times a week. about 5 mos ago i was very sick with bronchitis and received an injection in my left buttocks. tonight as i was massaging my lower back and hip area, i noticed a very clear indention in my left butt cheeck. when i looked in the mirror, there is clear muscle atrophy/wasting in this one area. i believe this is the same place i had my injection. Could i go this long and just now being having issues from the shot? is there any possibility it could be from something else? i do have a desk job but like i said, i am very active. currently sitting here as i type i have a warm/burning sensation at the top of my left butt cheek and the discomfort radiates to my left thigh and left lower back. As a matter of fact, my whole left side of my back feels super tight. has anyone else experienced this?

dabrag responded:
Wow, I have an indention as well. I injured my low back more than ten years ago. The injury has become chronic over the past 1.5 years. 4 weeks ago I also noticed and indention over the left sacrum area and into my left butt cheek. I have been diagnosed with severe atrophy in in the left Glute Muscle.

Doctors won't even talk about the indention as if to dismiss it altogether. Turns out that 3 back doctors and 2 sports doctors have no idea. I can't sit for more than 10 minutes before either my butt, low back or thigh is killing me. Sometimes all. I sure would like to know if you get anywhere with this. I am at 9 months, lots of tests ($$$) and 5 Doc's trying to find something out.

Helpful Tips

Hydration and the HeatExpert
Keep in mind with the warmer weather upon us, that our bodies will take some time to adapt to the temperature changes. Our bodies adapt ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center