Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe ankle pain while running.
ChaJava posted:
I recently started running, as a stress reliever, and as a way to get in shape. But I experience very sharp stabbing pains in my inner left ankle, that shoot a few inches up my calf. It only seems to bother me while running, and the more I run, the more intense the pain gets. I ran a 5k last sunday, and was nearly in tears at the finish line because of it.
I use kttape on my right knee, and tried it on my ankle, with no effect.

Some of the more seasoned runners suggested it may be a stress fracture, but how could something like that only affect me while I run?
I have a very nice pair of running shoes, from a specialized running shop, that a staff member spent over an hour helping me choose, so I have a hard time believing its my shoes.

I'm also unsure whether or not to keep running, or if it will just make whatever is wrong even worse.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi ChaJava -

Congrats on starting an exercise program. However, if you are having pain that leaves you in tears, it's time for a trip to the doctor.

If you do have a sprain or fracture, you need to assess and get treatment ASAP.

Haylen

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center