Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Shoulder Injury
ajc12 posted:
I am a 20 year old female that was enrolled in a Jiu Jitsu class at school. During the first few days of class, while learning a new technique on falling, I happened to land incorrectly on my left shoulder. There was no pop or any other sign that something was wrong, just a feeling that something wasn't right. Over the next few days all movement in the shoulder was painful, sleeping was impossible; the constant feeling that the shoulder would pop out was unnerving.
I began PT 3x a week for 2 months and nothing changed. The range of motion improved but then the joint began to stick when reaching above the head; she suggested I see an orthopedic doctor. X-rays were taken with unremarkable results. An MRI with contrast was next with results showing: blunting along the anterior/inferior labrum (suggesting a nondisplaced Bankart lesion), mild tendinopathy in the supraspinatus; I still don't really know what either of these mean. The Orthopedic doctor said she found a tear, and that 6-12 months of PT after an hour surgery isn't worth it in her opinion; so I should do more PT instead.
I have been an active person my whole life: playing softball, golf, soccer, lacrosse, basketball, and rowing in college. Not being able to move my shoulder with out it hurting is hard for me, I can't even throw a ball to my brother it hurts that bad. I want to be able to go back to the way things were before.
Long story short, should I stick with the PT or push for the surgery? It has been 3 months already and I can take it anymore!

Take the Poll

Should I partake in:
  • Physical Therapy (for the second time)
  • Surgery
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_22455 responded:
It's hard to tell you on the internet what to do.
But you can ask you physiotherapist's opinion on that subject or you can seek a second opinion from another orthopedist surgeon.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
You might also want to check in with another PT and review your exercises - perhaps there is more you can do to speed the process along.

I feel for you - I have a partial tear and spent many months in PT. Best of luck for pain relief soon!

H

ajc12 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Has the PT helped at all?? I like I would rather go through the surgery at this point if it would help me get back to my normal.

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center