Skip to content
Potential Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. Can't walk for a long amount of time.
NorthAmericanKate posted:
Hi - I am a 23 yrs old. I broke my fibula and tore a ligament in my ankle in April 2011. I have been to PT for the break.

I started to feel pain on the anterior tibial tendon in Oct. 2012 from doing a lot of walking too soon. The skin is sensitive to touch and the area hurts when I stretch it or walk over a mile, often less. In Jan. 2012 I started PT again for tendonitis. Had an MRI a week ago and there is no major swelling in the tendon so my ortho. surgeon thinks it is Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I can't walk for a long time without feeling pain. I can stand fine for a long time. I can't walk barefoot. etc. Compressing the area feels great. Going to PT makes the area hurt more.

My ortho. surgeon isn't sure what is going on.
My question is where do I go from here? Should I get an opinion from a different orthopedic surgeon? Sports Medicine doctor? Pain Management? Neurologist? I would like to know exactly what the problem is before I get treatment. I don't want to damage the area further with treatment for an incorrect diagnosis.

Anyone hear of a similar issue?
Thanks so much.

Helpful Tips

pain on your bikeExpert
Proper bike fit is one of the more important elements to enjoying a ride. A proper bike fit can help prevent neck pain, back pain, hand ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center