Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
loss of sense of touch in hand?
kimstrong posted:
had a stoke 11/14/2007...i feel like i've made a reat recovery ecept i can't feel anything with my left hand..the side that was affected. i can't tell the differnce between wnd paper and a smooth surface. has anyone else had this and did your sense return? if so, how long did it take? thx! --kim
FirstPrevious12NextLast

unknown responded:
Dear kimstrong,

Welcome to the Stroke Support Group! Congratulations on your recovery so far--it sounds like you've made a lot of progress.

Here is an article on Stroke Rehabilitation, which notes after a stroke that people may have "Problems with your sense of touch or how well you feel hot and cold..."

As to length of recovery, "You may recover the most in the first few weeks or months after your stroke. But you can keep getting better for years. It just may happen more slowly. And it may take a long time and a lot of hard work. Don't give up hope."

Write back and let us know how you're doing,

Byroney

Do you know someone who has had an organ transplant, or may need one? If you want support and information for yourself, a friend or family, then come by and visit the Organ Transplant Message Board.Let other members know about the posts you find most informative-"> star "> some posts today!

huancaina responded:
I remember when I had my stroke like 4 years ago, when I tried the water in the shower with my left foot, I couldn't tell if it was really hot or really cold, I knew it was really something, but I couldn't tell so I decided to try with my hand instead, (it could be very dangerous) my sensory sense was a mess for a while but then little by little it turned to be okay and you will be too! you just have to be patient, you'll be okay!

albertam22 responded:
I had my mini stroke/tia in Sept. 16, 2007. Within seconds my left arm, face, and tongue all paralyzed. 5 hrs later, I got most of my feeling back, but my left cheek is still a little numb, I haven't got full sensation back. I have wondered how long it takes to get the full sensation back? But, lately I have been experiencing some tingling and slight numbness in my left arm and left leg. Yesterday my leg and arm has come back to normal. I will see my PCP on Wed. and have her schedule me another MRI and CT scans. I am still not sure if I should see my cardiologist, and have him run some other tests that he performed on me after I had the ministroke. I have been taking Aggrenox twice a day since then. Because I was told by my cardiologist to have my heart patched, but I have not had that surgery done yet, but I am seriously considering it in the near future.

kamikumite responded:
share the same problem. so did the sense of touch came back.?how long and did you go any surgery or medical treatment? plz reply

asa98j responded:
My stroke was 9/14/04 and no the "numbness " never goes away. Strange the hand feels numb but I can feel a feather being drawn across it. I can also defintely feel cold and heat.* although there is a delayed reaction.

shoylock responded:
Do you still have a tingling sensation in your hand?

kamikumite responded:
There is numbess without tingling sensation,i cannot search coins in my pocket with my right hand. 4months passed away and through physio i could now write and have strength in my hand but no sense of touch. i could feel only 3 things whether it is hot cold and rough. when pinched i feel no pain like anaethasia for 2-3 seconds as he said delay. it seems like im wearing a cricket glove.

oc1dean1 responded:
I don't have numbness but my sensation is less than before. What I found in my research efforts was this. myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~fzshaw/ASA.pdf researchers found that cycles of heat and cold significantly enhanced the sensory and motor function in the arms and hands of stroke survivors after a few weeks of therapy. This book was also good. Sensory re-education of the hand after stroke by Yekeutiel, Margaret Dean

emsangel77 responded:
My left side was affected also, and it still is not the same as before. This was my detail hand too!!!

shawniepool responded:
My left hand is also numb but I can feel when something is touching it==seems to be a real deep numbness, along with my left side of my face. My stroke was a right frtnl lobe stroke--I had on Feb 25th 2009---now on coumadin and worried all the time if Im going to have another one. Are you taking coumadin too? and are you fatigued

tonigirl4u responded:
HI I LOST MY SENSE OF TOUCH ALSO ..MY STROKE WAS ON FEB.16 2007 ON THE LEFT SIDE...I WAS ON PLAVIX BUT HAD SO MUCH PAIN AND WEAKNESS SO I STOPED TAKING IT AND NOW I TAKE AN ASPRIN DAILY. I STILL DONT HAVE MY FEELING BACK BUT MY NEICE WHO IS A CRITICAL CARE NURSE SAYS IT TAKES A LONG TIME FOR THE NERVES TO COME TOGETHER SO I AM HOPEFUL AS FAR FOR NUMBNESS I STILL GET ALOT OF STIFFNESS AND AT TIMES SPASM..I DONT WALK TO FAR BUT I DO WALK IN THE HOUSE AND I DO GET VERY TIRED STILL.. WHAT I FIND HARD TO DO IS WALKING. ITS HARD TO JUDGE WHEN YOU CANT FEEL THE BOTTOM OF YOUR FEET SO I AM CONSTANELY LOOKING WHERE I AM WALKING..WHEN I THINK HOW NATURAL WALKING USE TO BE HAS BECOME A JOB

kelvinmccarroll responded:
had a stroke also it affected my left side also; every day is a challenge but i know through my strong faith and continuance in prayer i know that my sense of touch will return. Please keep a positive outlook it will return. a medical advisor suggested handling ice cubes or things that are very cold said it triggers a reconnective response between the brain and the affected part or parts. stay blessed, positive,and stay cute.

tonigirl4u replied to kelvinmccarroll's response:
awwwwww thanks...keep in touch

ginnymille replied to tonigirl4u's response:
my dad hada stroke 5 yrs ago another 1 year ago, this last one hes lost feeling in his feet what can we do to get him moving he can only walk about 10 min then hes in pain says he cant walk too far he sits all day and watchs tv! we want him to excerzie but hes sooo stuborne and has no desire to get going hes only65 and already giving up!

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.