Skip to content
Pain, cold as well as numbness on right side
Procraftdon posted:
I had a stroke in 2004. I have been lucky in some ways and most people would have no idea I have had a stroke. However, my right side is almost always tingles and is numb. I have lost small motor skills and some feeling in my right hand. At times my entire right side is cold. My doctor doesn't seem to think this is related but I do. It never happened before. Has anyone else had these experiences since the stroke? If so, was there anything that made it better. I walk three times a week and I'm active but this feeling just doesn't go away. When I go to bed at night, my whole right side experiences shooting pains for about 5 minutes. It's almost like after my body relaxes the pains subside. I try to stay positive but at times it's very difficult. I do experience depression because I'm not sure if it will ever get better.

JeffDaddy responded:
I had the tingling feeling, but it has subsided after about 3 years. I don't think I did anything specific to help it along unfortunately. My only thought is to tell your doctor it wasn't there before the stroke, it began after the stroke and it persists -- therefore it's related to the stroke. If your doctor doesn't address the issue, go to another doctor. I wish I could give you a silver therapy and best of luck with this.

zebra50 responded:
Hi, I had a stroke 11 weeks ago. It started in the shower with the left fingers and hand feeling numb to the water & temperature. I went to work because no other feelings were going on - no headache-by 2:00 that afternoon I was numb & tingling from my left fingers, up the left arm, down the left side of the torso clear down to the toes. Just cut me in half. 11 weeks later a neurologist finally saw me & tests results & said stroke. I've been put on Neurotin to help with shooting pains in the foot & leg & statin drug & plavix. I had improvement on left hand & arm the next day but nothing else has come back. Water is very interesting - is it real hot ot cold canI really feel it hitting the body? Are you like me?? Is it really a stroke or a bad disc in the back.

holl5163 responded:
I am a caregiver of a male 47 years who had a stroke in 2007 brainstem. His right side from head to toe is numb and has bouts of severe tingling and feeling of muscle stiffness. He experiences cold sensations in foot and hands when they are not cold. His thumb and next two digits of the right hand are not controlable and he cannot write, eat etc with his right hand as before.or at all. His right arm is not totally controlable. He does not have the sensation of when to stop grasping something that is not solid like a plastic bottle of water etc. He can walk but has issues with pain in the knee and feeling of pinched nerve in his hip contributing to that. So far no success we are going to another neurologist in a week or so when they get it set up.

BetsyMay responded:
I had a stroke in Oct 2010 which sounds very similar to yours. I am left with feelings that range from pain, pins and needles, to no feeling at all from my face all the way to my toes. It's almost as if a line divides me in half. There are times when the right side is freezing! I can't seem to find out much info except that I'm told its rare to be able to move but not feel. If I don't watch what i"m holding it will eventually drop because I have no idea how much pressure Im using. Did you ever find anything out?

Bevyy responded:
I had a stroke nearly 4 months ago & am still tingling,numb & COLD also. They tell me it is the brain not knowing how to re-route yet after the stroke. It is for sure caused by the stroke, but you are the first one I have found w/same problem...Not sure there is anything to do, but hope it goes away. I am taking depression meds for the first time, BT

J2JTC replied to Bevyy's response:
I have to agree with you on your description of the feeling you have on the side the stroke affected. I am 26 years old and suffered from a stroke back in 2009 after having a Front Temporal Lobectomy (removal of the Front Temporal Lobe on the left side of the brain). I know I cant relate to the person that had the stroke that wasn't associated with brain surgery but I do believe these are common symptoms/feelings of a typical stroke. It was a rare happening but complications do happen.

As for the stroke, there are many things associated with the fact that our body is re-programming itself. Many nerves are affected by this event and things might not get back to normal.I have discussed things with my neurologist and what may be related to the stroke.

He says that due to the stroke it may effect our nervous system in a different way and from what I heard....it can be associated with something that affects the Auto-Immune disease of the nervous system. I from what I heard from him is that this is something that is common but not frequent to those who suffer from a stroke.

I guess it depends on what region the stroke occurred in. But I will find out more.......

RonaldaG responded:
How is ur talking? u sound just like i am now. u cant even tell it happened unless i talk too much which is getting better. and my right side feels numb and now cold. i have depression just starting too. i am not to sure i will get any better. i will say things come out wrong and it is really hard right now.

Procraftdon replied to RonaldaG's response:
You may already be seeing somebody, but speech therapy is a very good idea. It helped me a lot. It is very hard--I agree. Try to keep a positive attitude if you can and keep going to therapy and walk as much as you can. These things really helped me.

Procraftdon replied to Bevyy's response:
I was glad to see that somebody else has the tingling and coldness. My doctor acted like she didn't believe me when I reported these symptoms to her but it is very real. For me, it gets worse if I am overly tired and/or at the end of the day.

Like you, I'm not sure there is anything that can be done but hope for the best. I appreciate you sharing your story.

Procraftdon replied to BetsyMay's response:
Your symptoms seems very much like mine. I do drop things a lot as well. My doctor just couldn't relate to any of this which was a major source of frustration to me. I find that these symptoms are worse if I really over do during the day and in the evenings. It's been seven years since my stroke and some of my symptoms are much better but some still remain and the cold is really bad at times. I have found that exercise (such as walking) really seems to help. This was especially true right after the stroke. Physical and speech therapy are good too--and really helped me. Good luck!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Procraftdon!

I just wanted to thank you for coming back and sharing your experiences and insight with others after all of your therapy and hard work. I hope that you are staying more positive and things are even better for you this year!

As you can see, we are now fortunate enough to have an amazing Stroke Community Expert, Dr. Richard Senelick , specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. If you ever have any questions or concerns, I hope that you will post a new discussion for our expert as well as members. Please take care of yourself and keep us posted on how things are for you.

Wishing you the very best!
Amelia
Best Wishes! Amelia

Cyndieforshort responded:
I had Brain Surgery in July of 2011. I had a Stroke and Seizure while on the operating table plus my doctor accidentally cut my main artery and had to give me a blood transfusion! My eyes didn't repond to the light and so i was also hooked up to a venilator, I think on the second day was when he had to go back in and remove a blood clot the size of a walnut and part of my Cerebelum. Needless to say yes, I did give everybody quite a scare almost losing my life! Six months have gone by and my doctor is still telling me that my numbness on my right side is either "Temporary or Permanent" !!! I am tired of not feeling anything from my fingers all the way to my shoulder on my right side plus i cannot hear from my right ear! I will be 41 in March, what am I supposed to do, I am tired of living like this!!!

Cyndieforshort replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi I just joined and wanted to share my experience.In July 2011 I had Brain Surgery. Unfortunately I also suffered a stroke and seizure while on the operating table. My doctor also accidently cut my main artery and I bled out, which led to a blood transfusion! My eyes wasn't responding to light so I was hooked to a venilator as well, a hole was drilled in the top of my head to releive some of the pressure that I was experiencing from my Brain swelling. My doctor had to remove a blood clot the size of a walnut plus a portion of my Cerebelum. I was in NICU for a while!! I was in the hospital for all of August. My problem now is now it has been six months and I am still numb from my fingers all the way to my shoulder on my right side and I can't hear from my left ear. I hate living like this abd my doctor keeps telling me "it is either temporary or permanent it is too early to tell" He tells me it could be a long while before my complete healing process so I am at the mercy of father time I suppose!!! Can anyone offer suggestions? Cyndie

Nicole_H replied to Cyndieforshort's response:
Hello Cindy,
I understand your frustration all too well...I had an emergency brain surgery in 2008 for a couple of blleds in the brain stem and pons due to an Angioma. I had never heard of that name until I was rushed to the NICU...Anyway, to make a long story short, I consider my surgery and the outcome to be a miracle, even if I am and may not ever be 100% as I was. What I experience to this day: The freezing sensation on my right side, mainly in my foot. It actually is painfull at times, I often find myself massaging it, to bring some "life" into it. I wear socks in bed, even in the summer, in order to at least try to keep it warm. I do have a bit of tingling in my right fingers, almost constant...However, like you I was told by the neurosurgeon that it could improve, or it would not. No specific time frame either...The guy saved my life. his knowledge is incredible, but even for someone like him, our brain still holds some mystery. I can tell you this: time is one of the keys. I had double vision after the surgery. Just as I was ready to wear a patch, it went away overnight! I had to "talk" and watch my right leg and foot in order to go up a sidewalk, go up the stairs, pretty much any upward motion. I walked as much as I could, when tired, my right leg would start falling behind...I would, once agin, "talk" to it. This was the only thing I could do when in motion. No more thinking of whatever else, just focus on my right leg...Then one day, about 2 years post surgery, I found myself thinking about something totally different when I was walking!!! From then on, I have not needed to "talk" to my leg...Do not despair, think of what was done to your brain. I often describe it as a tree that got a branch or two chopped off...They will grow back, just not in the same place. They will be fragile at first, but will strenghten with time...I was 46 when this happened...If I may say: Educate yourself about what happened as much as you can, Doctors are not always equipped to deal with the emotional toll that such an event takes. If you can, find a support group, a mentor, any kind of support from people who know and understand what you are dealing with.
Sorry, this is very long...I just hope it will help a little, and I wish you the very best!
Nicole

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.