Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worried about my FIL
BoysxThree posted:
He has been very sick - he says that it is a cold but I worry about things like pnuemonia. He is 77 years old. He lives in a townhouse with roommates adn has been (up until now) very self-sufficient. He called me yesterday and today and both times has been very confused. He asks repeatedly things like what day it is and whether he should eat or not. He told me this morning that he has having problems dialing his phone and when I asked him if his problem was that the phone was broken (obviously not since he had called me on it) or if he was having problems pushing the button, his answer was "I don't know".

He has some doctor appointments tomorrow and I am going with him (among other things, the doctor is 1.5 hours away). I took him to ER yesterday and he got angry after waiting a little while and refused to stay. He also tired very quickly and I had to borrow a wheelchair to get him from the hospital to the car. He has lost about 15 pounds (but, as I mentioned, has been sick).

I am worried that he is having mini strokes and that I should be doing something right now. I know that he is taking baby asprin (assuming that he is remembering it..).

Does this behavior sound like strokes? *Should* I be doing something? Should I let him go home tomorrow or should he stay with me (no real place for him to sleep unless I boot one of my kids out of his room - which leaves both of them in uncomfortable places - but, I will do this if that is what we should do. Also, there really isn't someone to help him 24/7 here... I may need to find out info on VA/veterans assisted living facilities if anyone knows anything about that..)

Thanks for any insight/thoughts. I am very worried about him

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi BoysxThree,

We can't know whether this is due to strokes or something else but you are right to be concerned.

It's also not uncommon for someone who is going through a stroke or heart problem to be angry about waiting around at the hospital (my mom was too) so don't let that discourage you.

Considering the severity of what he's going through, I encourage you to get him to the hospital now and not let him leave, no matter how angry he gets.

And if this doesn't happen until you take him to the doctor's tomorrow, it's quite likely he'll end up hospitalized. If not, yes, have him stay with you even if no one is particularly comfortable with it.

He sounds like he needs help. ((((hugs))))

I know you're worried about him and are doing all you can to help him. FYI for the future, an online message board can be a great place to get information, but cannot take the place of nor provide immediate medical attention. As you can see, there can often be a delay of up to 24 hours or longer to get a response.

Let us know how it goes and we're here to support you.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.