Skip to content
Dads toes remain curled under after stroke what can I do?
tetonne posted:
Dad had a stroke 6 wks ago. In two days had paralysis on right side, face to feet. After the 16 home injections injections and meds he is doing better. But, I have noticed his right leg/ankle/foot/toes are still very swollen and now the toes are curled under permanently! He's having trouble walking-dragging that toe, he's in pt but, now for the first time he's not wearing socks because of the swelling and it has been brough to my attention. Is this going to stay this way or will it get better like the other areas?
Miselaineous responded:
I believe it is spasticity which comes and goes on me. Seems if I stretch my toes and fingers manually it gets a bit better but mine has not gone totally away. Seems worse when I am cold
oc1dean2 responded:
This is extremely common. If your doctor doesn't know what to do about it ask to see an orthotist who can build an AFO with builtin toe crest and metatarsal pad. Or you can search online for these and buy them if an AFO is out of the question. Please make sure this is treated, it will not get better on its own. You need to make sure that contractures don't set in, permanent shortening of the muscles and tendons.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.