Skip to content
how safe is exercise
charlieklem posted:
Hi everybody! I am new on this discussion site. I had a stroke this past Sunday.I was released from the hospital yesterday (2 days after).I was wandering how safe is it to walk a fairly good pace on a treadmill for 45-60 minutes.I experienced tingling and numbness from my hand up to the shoulder and down the rib cage about 40 min. into the walk. I slowed down a little and it went away in about 10 min. Was I pushing my luck? Has anybody experienced this while exercising.

JeffDaddy; responded:
Everyone's different. Sounds like you are lucky. I was released in 4 days, but it took 2 months to walk around the block without stopping - dizziness, vertigo, etc.

You should check with your neurologist regarding how much you should push your luck - don't take my word for it or anyone else's.

Good luck.

Miselaineous replied to JeffDaddy;'s response:
When I decided to join the gym I was requested to get letters from both my general and my neuologist before I could proceed. Best to get cleared before you over do.

charlieklem replied to JeffDaddy;'s response:
I have been told to slow down a little with my walking speed. Thx Jeff! Good Luck to you!

charlieklem replied to Miselaineous's response:
thanks Miselaneous! Hope your doing fine. Good Luck!

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Getting Support and TipsExpert
Many times the most valuable source of information is from other people who have had to "walk in your shoes." They have had to live with ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.