Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
suffered tia one week ago
An_227182 posted:
i was hospitalized one week ago with a tia. the first hospital i went to sent me back home.i don't know what to expect...i know i will recover, i have faith in that. but what can i expect recovery wise?

JeffDaddy; responded:
It's good to have faith that you'll recover, but my suggestion is that you think of stroke recovery as your new occupation and work diligently at elimating the risk factors you may have for stroke. Eliminate the primary risks (smoking, high blood pressure, weight), but be aware of the secondary risks as well (chronic gum diease, exposure to exhaust). For me, the internet is only a first step. I spent (and spend) a lot of time at the library. Find a competent neurologist because I think that most information out there says that you're now at greater risk for a substantial stroke than if you didn't have the TIA. A doctor is the best person to tell you what to expect. Also, check in your area for stroke support groups - most major hospitals have them. Talking about what you're feeling helps, like lowering your blood pressure.

tjedwards replied to JeffDaddy;'s response:
thanks, i have rehab and nurses coming to my house. my bp is still running high. my coordination is getting better. the practice on the computer helps. my balance is still way off. i have appts. set up with cardiologists and orthopedic drs. still have to get one with my neurologist. i am slowly getting better.

JeffDaddy; replied to tjedwards's response:
Good for you. I thought typing was good therapy as well. The feeling and coordination in my fingers was the last to come back. My balance was off for nearly a year as the collateral flow developed around the blocked portion of my vertebral artery, so don't rush it.

I would say the most difficult part of the recovery has been changing my diet so I can lose weight. Three years later and I still weigh about the same. According to all the charts and measures, I'm 40 pounds overweight. Blood pressures, etc. is all good, but I know I need to do better at the eating.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.