Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
First Post - 96 yr old mom with aphasia...sleeping 16 hrs...need aphasia translator..
zydecosailor posted:
Greetings from western mass...my first post and many questions.general situation is that my mom had a stroke on May 9, 2010and has aphasia. She went from hospital, to acute care and?now in sub-acute. She has made a little cognitive progress,?but she was already frail, and her weight is of concern as well as?she seems very tired. I?guesstimate?she is sleeping 16 hours a day.Although she has been put on SSRI's (and Megace) she was sleeping?a lot pre stroke. Just didn't seem this exhausted. Scary...?And it is so hard to know what she wants, thinks... speech therapistshave not been?especially?good at this.Your?thoughts?greatly?appreciated. I am?devastated?and?overwhelmed.Thanks.Larry

JeffDaddy responded:
Being devastated and overwhelmed is standard, so don't feel like you're doing anything incorrect. Keep asking questions and stay updated on your mother's condition. Check to see if the hospital or care unit has a stroke or heart attack support person or group. That may help you with the particular place she's at.

I wouldn't be too critical with the speech therapists at this stage. You may be more in tune with your mother's voice inflections and expressions and therefore might get more understanding than a relative stranger. Keep working at it. You might ask them to share with you their assessment of her speach progress since the stroke, then mention to them that you'd like to do this again in a couple weeks to see what progress is being made.

Sleeping was one of my main "activities" after my stroke. I mentioned this to my doctor and he reminded me that not only my brain, but the rest of my body had just undergone a substantial trauma and it needs more than its normal rest to recover.

zydecosailor replied to JeffDaddy's response:
thanks for input... how old are you... how much were you sleeping?
When was your stroke and what kind... how are you doing at this point?
Best,
Larry

JeffDaddy replied to zydecosailor's response:
I was 46 when I had the stroke playing basketball - I had my first TIA the day before riding my bike to work. So, I'd like to think I was physically active with relatively good cardiovascular health.

The first week after the stroke, I would sleep between 14-18 hours/day. I had no idea that sitting in a chair watching TV was so exhausting. I thought I was dreaming all the time because every time I woke up Law & Order was on - then I realized that it was on all the time.

I had an occlusion of the right vertebral artery that interrupted flow to my brain stem. At its ultimate point, I was basically paralyzed from the neck down. I received a tPA injection - only the 2nd one done at that hospital - and have progressively gotten better since. The artery is completely and permanently blocked and inoperable.

That was 3.5 years ago. I turned 50 last week and played basketball for the first time since the stroke. I still have some numbness in my face and right hand, but it's more nagging than anything else. The physical part of recovery took work, but that was easier than the mental part for both me and my wife. Don't neglect the mental aspect for both you and your mother - most hospitals and care faciilities will have support groups. Take advantage of this. Best of luck to you.

sandiegodeb replied to JeffDaddy's response:
My boyfriend is 54 and he had a stroke about 1 month ago. He has been having some TIA's and is forgetting alot during the day. Is it common for stroke victims to forget a whole day and does this come back? He gets really frustrated and I am not sure how to help him.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.