Skip to content
Emotional changes after stroke
ukmoore posted:
My question is this; are emotional changes such as anger and, more specifically "emotional detachment", common for stroke victims? A family member (male 30yrs) suffered a stoke in both the left and right side of his brain. He is a fireman and the stroke, they think, was caused by the inhalation of noxious gas. He has recovered 95% the doctors say (some short term memory loss)but there seems to be emotional changes. Is this normal? Any info you can provide would be helpful.

JeffDaddy; responded:
From what I've read, emotional changes are common. As for myself, I think I changed emotionally. I think I became less tollerant when I thought my time was being wasted and I probably was shorter with those people and whenever possible eliminated contact with them. I had a real "life is too short for you" attitude. With time my perspective has mellowed some. Also, most of what I was feeling (numbness, dizziness, weakness) were not visible to anyone else. As a result, I internalized a lot of things because I felt that I was fighting these symptoms alone. You could read My Stroke of Insight about helping people with strokes and I know there are other books out there on the topic.

Even brief exposure to fumes causes cardiovascular problems (New Eng. Journal of Med, Sept 2007, v. 357, n. 11, p.1075-82). Just before I had my first TIA, I was riding my bike behind a car with a very rich exhaust.

Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.