Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Possible Mini Stroke
jstrickland69 posted:
I had something happen last night. I didn't think too much of it, but when describing it to my mother, she thought I might have had a mini stroke.

All of a sudden I started getting a dull throb in my right shoulder. I just figured it was one of those "getting older" throbs. Then I went out to eat. While I was holding my plate, any time my shoulder throbbed, I lost strength and got light headed. The other symptoms would go away when the throb went away. If I wasn't trying to hold anything all I had was the shoulder throb. But even holding a fork brought on the symptoms. However, within a couple hours, all of the symptoms, including the throb, went away, and I haven't had any since. I wasn't even considering a mini stroke, but am now wondering if I should be paying my doctor a visit on Monday.

JeffDaddy responded:
Go see the doctor. If you had a TIA (temporary ischemic attack) or mini stroke, you're more susceptible to additional TIAs and strokes.

If nothing else, get your shoulder looked at.

jstrickland69 replied to JeffDaddy's response:
I will be setting up an appointment. The interesting thing is that none of the symptoms, including the throb, have returned.

An_227189 replied to jstrickland69's response:
Drs visit is a good idea. never hurts to get it checked out. Wondering if it was a nerve that was pinched at that moment?

jstrickland69 replied to An_227189's response:
We're not really sure. I ended up having an EKG, CT Scan, and Carotid Ultrasound. All came back with no bad results. Dr. said it simply could have been just too much stress happening at that moment. He did put me on a low dose aspirin regimin.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to jstrickland69's response:
Thanks for the update and I just wanted to wish you the best of health in the future! Please take care of yourself.
Best Wishes! Amelia

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.