Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dizziness Post Stroke
mgr0777 posted:
My mother who is 77 suffer a stroke at the brain stem on July 8, 2010. The vascular surgeon removed the blood clot within the 2-3 hour timeframe. She miraculously survived the stroke and was in a rehabilitation center for 4 weeks. She has the use of both arms and legs but her right eyelid cannot open, she feels dizzy all the time, has to relieve her bladder every 15 minutes or so and has a balance problem so she needs to use a walker.

The doctors say the balance is due to the eye not opening and her dizziness. She has been home for approximately 6 weeks. The rehab center recommended home therapy but the physical therapist only came once a week for 4 weeks. He gave us exercise to do and recommended an outpatient center for physical therapy.

I am living with my parents to help out. My father is 78 and is very active as was my mother before the stroke. As this is our first experience with a stroke in our family, we have been told that recovery is slow for all stroke survivors and her eyelid should open in time and the dizziness is a result of the stroke but that too will disappear over time. We are all very frustrated and a little lost as what to do or where to go.

Will the post stroke problems eventually correct themselves or is there anything we can do or should be doing to help with her recovery?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Michelle

jcmalex responded:
i am 49 and had a stroke a month ago. I would recommend two things, get the book "MY Stroke of Insight" by jill taylor, and sign her up for rehab at a different facility rehab and a good attitude are essential for recovery. I too have dizziness and lost hearing in my right ear. Yes, i am younger but both my parents are in thier 80's and my mom had a minor stroke last year at 80 and made a great recovery. Get that book !! keep me in the loop she will improve the dizziness sucks but it will improve rehab is critical. JCMALEX

mgr0777 replied to jcmalex's response:
JCMALEX:
Thank you for your response. I will get the book and have awi th a rehab center tomorrow.

Appreciate your help.
Michelle

DMBONDO replied to jcmalex's response:
my husband had a stroke last month and he's still dizzy. can you tell me what kind of rehab you get? thank you

JeffDaddy; responded:
I apologize to everyone - I answered the reply. The rehab I had post stroke was to slowly increase activity to improve collateral flow around the damaged artery. During the first week that meant getting up and walking down the hall. That's when I became dizzy. After a month, I could walk around the block stopping about 4-5 times to let the dizziness pass. As I did this, I really enjoyed having someone go along with me - not to pull me along, but to talk to as I waited for the dizziness to subside. It took 6 months before I could do something the doctor considered "active" (golf). After a year I was back to running and biking.

mgr0777 replied to DMBONDO's response:
Hello - My mother had a brain stem clot. She has use of arms and legs. She is experiencing dizziness and balance problems. Tomorrow, we are taking her to a therapy center that only specializes in dizziness and balance problems due to brain injuries and strokes. I do not know where you live however you can visit their website or call to see if there is a similar type of therapy where you live. The link is below. Please let me know how you make out.
http://www.willowgrovept.com/default.asp?contentID=70

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.