Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Re. Stroke
vsepulvev posted:
My husband suffered a stroke June 3rd 2010, He was given TPA before the 3 hour window period lapsed. Even though the stroke affected his right side including his his right leg, he has always had enough strength on his leg to walk. He is currently getting Physical therapy, Occupational therapy and speech. His right arm is still weak but coming along nicely. His speech has improved since his stroke even thouh at times he will say something that makes no sense. Well, my question is for the past two months my husband has been experiencing alot of dizzyness when he stnds and when he is walking. We thought it might be the blood pressure medicine, so we had his doctor change the medicine that he has been taking for two years. The doctor put him on Cozaar 100mg that was even worse. He took him off the Cozaar and put him back on the Diltiazem but less mg. Then we started giving him his medication in the late evening, to try and see if he would sleep through the dizzyness from that has not helped. My husband doesnt want to go to the hospital. I am at my wits end. Can you advice me on what to do

JeffDaddy; responded:
Replay of other responses I've made...if your husband had tPA, then he had an ischemic stroke and so had blood flow blocked to some portion of his brain. I have a similar condition. Check with your neurologist on this, but in my case, the dizziness is related to a lack of blood flow to the brain. The dizziness came on whenever I exerted myself - initally that was just standing. My body needed to build up collateral flow around the area using other blood vessels. As I increased my activity level, the blood vessels expanded and eventually the vertigo decreased. I recommend keeping a log of time, activity and vertigo level. I found that when I documented my progress I was much more confident I was getting better.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.