Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
carmella1
DMBONDO posted:
My husband had a stroke last month, and he's still dizzy. No doctor had required rehab. I don't know what that is and if it would help him with his dizziness/light-headedness. it's so frustrating because last night he got hte ringing in his ears again and after breakfast this morning he felt a little nausea along with the constant headache. HELP!!!

JeffDaddy; responded:
DMBONDO,
Not knowing exactly what type of stroke your husband had, I can only speak from my own experience. I had an ischemic stroke that blocked my right vertebral artery. This reduced blood flow to my brain causing what I called vertigo (dizziness) and light headness. Initially, I had multiple episodes during the day when I could not remain standing - it seemed odd because to everyone around me I appeared normal. As my neurologist explained it, to overcome this bloakage, my body needed to develop collateral flow around the area - smaller blood vessels expanded to provide the necessary flow. But this takes time. I had vertigo experiences for at least a year after the stroke. Over time as collateral flow improved, the vertigo decreased in severity and frequency. My biggest concern initially was that I wasn't getting any better. For both my benefit and my doctors, I began a journal where I documented the vertigo. I set up a scale from 0 (no episode) to 5 (unable to stand; needed recovery time), so I could just right down the time, what I was doing and the rating. I found this useful because it allowed me to really look back and see that I was improving. The doctor appreciated it as well. Over the first 6 months, I could clearly see that I was getting better. Best of luck.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.