Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can anxiety attack mimic stroke symptoms?
wendolla posted:
My husband had a horrible week last week. It came to a head on Fri. He's never had problems w/ anxiety before. He was worried about his job. He was looking at me and telling me how worried he was...then he continued staring at me for about maybe 5-10 seconds, but during that time it was like he couldn't respond to me. One eye kind of drooped a little as did the corner of his mouth (both on the left side). Then he was responding normally. He was sweaty, clamy, dizzy for a few min. got him a cool rag, then he was ok. Can an anxiety attack cause a brief moment of non response or "unconsciencness" or being aware, sort of, but unable to respond? At first I thought of stroke symptoms, but someone said it might be a bad anxiety attack.

JeffDaddy; responded:
Anxiety=high blood pressure=main risk factor for stroke. If he had physical symptoms of a stroke, then you should have him checked out. To my knowledge, next time, have him do something simple like stick his tongue straight out. It seems to me that anxiety wouldn't prevent him from sticking his tongue straight out, but a stroke would. Good luck.

flower_517 replied to JeffDaddy;'s response:
You have to have high BP for a whole year though.... so an anxiety attack wouldn't have done this.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.