Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
muscle cramps in stroke victims
alchemist01 posted:
When I got home from Rehab I started to have nightly muscle cramps in the leg affected by the stroke. Cramps are unusal for me. I'm taking potasium and a vitamins. How can I stop these cramps?

Miselaineous responded:
I would suggest to stretch your legs before you go to bed.

sheri18 responded:
am 50 yrs. old and just came home from the hospital hade a stroke having the same problem my right side is very weak and havent started threhab yet (mon) but i am getging leg cramps evry night very painful would like to know why, is this a after effect of a stroke? how long will this go on?

Anon_4048 responded:
I too had some cramping in the months immediately after my stroke. I didn't think much of it and it's gone away since. I attributed to the fact that I think that I was contracting every muscle in my body during the stroke. Sorry that I can't give you an exact time table.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
These may not be traditional cramps, particularly if they are only in your affected leg. They may be a type of spasm secondary to increased muscke tone. This is very common after a stroke. You should ask your doctor if they agree and whether you could try low doses of either baclofen or tizanadine. Both are medications we use to treat spasticity in muscles. I suspect you will respond to a very low dose and only ned to take it at bedtime.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

itmatsb responded:
Also one of my doctors told me that Botox can help leg cramping after a stroke.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.