Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Had a stroke Labor Day 2010
    mrbogey56 posted:
    The stroke attacked the right side which is affecting my left side. Have been rehabing every since, have recovered somewhat, can walk now unassisted, can take a shower(without falling) trying to get back to work, don't have insurance or no resources, can anyone tell me what I should look for next. Have applied Social Security disability benefits. Is there any available resources that can help me.
    Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    Unfortunately, yours is not an unusual situation. I am assuming you are not yet 65 years old and eligible for Medicare. If that is true the resources available to you will depend which State and City you live in. Try calling the social worker at your local hospital and ask if there is a State fund for rehabilitation or a local organization. The Easter Seals Foundation can also be a good resource as can your local chapter of the American Stroke Association. You can go their website or call 1-888-478-7653. Find a local Stroke Support Group and ask what the other people in your situation have done. Good luck.

    Helpful Tips

    Any Exercise is Good!Expert
    A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, but I think the results ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 8 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.