Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Travel and TIA's
raceman88 posted:
My wife had two TIA's about 2 years ago. We live in Md and want to go to Denver to visit our daughter and grandkids. The doctor said he didn't think it was a good idea. I assumed it had something to do with flying at 30 thousand feet so we asked him thru email if we could take a train. He said he didn't think the trip was a good idea. From what I have read there is no problem with people flying. She is on several meds for colesteral and blood thinners. The only other problem she has if she is on her feet for a long time her ankles swell. We already went by plane last year but she didn't ask doctor. Is it ok to fly if you have had a stroke or TIA.?? If not what gives please explain. His reasoning might be because of ankle swelling which might happen if we sat in a train for 2 days to get to denver. Airplane takes 4 hours.

JeffDaddy; responded:
I had a stroke and two TIAs four years ago and have flown extensively since - even to Denver. The only trip that I canceled was to Australia a month after my stroke. At that time, my doctor said that I would be more than 3 hours from a hospital and could not be administered tPA within the required time frame.

You've mentioned that the doctor said it wasn't a good idea - you might pursue that and ask, "why isn't it a good idea?"

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.