Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I fell
mrbogey56 posted:
HAD AN EMBOLIC STROKE, LABOR DAY 2010, BEEN REHABBING DAILY, LOW IMPACT AEROBICS MWF, WEIGHT TRAINING TUE,TH WITH GENTLE YOGA SANDWICHED IN BETWEEN. TRYING TO GET BACK TO MY PRESTROKE DAYS, SUFFERED A SETBACK FRIDAY NITE, I FELL AND LANDED ON MY BACK, MY LEFT SIDE ALREADY HAD RESTRICTED MOVEMENT AND THIS TIME MY LEFT KNEE WAS ACHING WITH EVERY BEND, GOT REALLY SCARED WHEN I COULDN'T TAKE STEPS WITHOUT PAIN, MENTALLY I HAVEN'T ACCEPTED THE FACT THAT I'M GOING TO REMAIN IN THE 86% THAT DON'T FULLY RECOVER FROM THE EFFECTS OF A STROKE. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHICH DIRECTION I SHOULD GO FROM HERE!!

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
It sounds like you are doing all the right things and had a minor setback with your fall. The good news is that you didn't break a hip or arm.

In many illnesses that cause disability we speak of the "new normal." It is important to to focus on your strengths and not your weaknesses. It sounds like you have many strengths and it might help to touch bases with a therapist again to see if there are any things you could be doing differently. Many stroke survivors reach a plateau, but then after a period of time, they can move off that plateau and continue to improve.

Finally, you need to be certain you "fall proof" your home . I wrote a blog on this and have supplied the link. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-c-senelick-md/avoiding-falls_b_871276.html

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

mrbogey56 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. Senelick for the encouraging words,will continue to work.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.