Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Repetitive Motion aka tick /Stroke Patient
    Debtn posted:
    My 73 yr. old mom had a stroke in May. She constantly is moving her right arm & touching her head or her hair. No one has ever seen tis in a stroke patient before. It's like a tick she has developed. Has anyone else ever seen this? Thanks for your replies. Sometimes the PT people have to restrain her arm to get her to concentrate on other exercises.
    Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    It sounds like your mother may have "hemiballism." It is a rare disorder that can occur after a stroke. There is a part of the brain called the basal ganglia that smooth out and help control our movements. One small are, the subthalamic nucleus, can be affected and lead to "ballistic" movements. They can be wild, flailing movements of the arm or leg. It is not always this dramatic.

    She should see a neurologist and you should raise this as a possibility. If the neurologist does not have much experience with hemiballism, and most do not, you will want to have her reffered to a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders. There are a number of medications that can help. Some centers are starting to use brain stimulators to control the movements in patients who do not improve over time.

    There is not much on hemiballism in the lay literature and I could not find anything on WebMD , so I am referring you to a nice explanation on Wikipedia. Wiki .

    There are people who can help your mom. You just need to find where they are in your area. Don't hesitate to write back to us and please let us know how this turns out.

    Good Luck.
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.
    shuree68 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
    I have had 7 TIA's. I have a left frontal infarct and damage to my parietal part of my brain. I'm am beginning to twitch in my abdomen, arms, legs, and buttocks. My face is dumb on both cheeks. I have a recent Neurologist, and am to see him in September, yet i haven't told him about the twitching yet. The last time i seen him, he told me that i needed to seek Psychiatry help. I don't agree totally with him. I also have frontal lobe damage, and i agree that it has caused some behavioral problems as i am going to seek help for that, but i think there's more going on. Any suggestions? Thank you, and i appreciate it. Thank God for spell checker as i now have a lot of problems with speech,writing, and spelling.

    Helpful Tips

    Any Exercise is Good!Expert
    A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, but I think the results ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 8 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.