Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
emotional changes
Mrsgypsy posted:
My father MAY have had a TIA on Monday. He has short term memory problems now, balance problems, and has frequent moments of crying for no apparent reason. He has problems remembering names he remembered before Monday. The CT and MRI showed nothing. The echo, EKG, and Carotid Ultrasound all looked fine. He had very high blood pressure that first day, and had, still has, a slow pulse. He is wearing a home heart monitor for 24 hours. The Dr's discharged him from the hospital without a definitive diagnosis, and only orders are to follow up with his regular DR after the heart monitor results are read.

How long might the crying episodes, confusion, balance issues go on? He will be 80 later this month. Please help.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
It sounds like your father had a stroke. By definition a TIA does leave the person with any neurologic changes. I think he needs to be seen by a neurologist as soon as possible. Although it sounds like he had a thorough workup, I suspect that the neurologist will perform more tests than were done in the emergency room. I wonder if the MRI was truly totally normal or was it really " normal for age," With his history of high blood pressure it would be common to see many small white spots on the MRI that represent microvascular changes, or small scars in the brain. These can accumulate over time and then you can have the one that "breaks the camel's back" and causes symptoms.

The crying episodes are called emotional lability. It can be seen in people with strokes on both sides of their brain or down in the brainstem. The crying may appear for no reason at all or be triggered by what appears to be a trivial comment. It usually improves over time, but if it doesn't there are some medicines that the neurologist can try. It is impossible to predict how long the symptoms will last. Some people improve rapidly while others can be left with permanent problems.

I would make sure he gets a thorough evaluation for his stroke to make sure you are controlling all the risk factors you can and also taking appropriate medication to prevent a future stroke.

Here is a link for additional information:

Emotional Lability

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

carmen50 replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
I had a TIA/Stroke 23 Aug 2010 but none of my tests show no signs of a stroke. My doctor says that he does not know what to say, is stumped because my tests have come out normal on the CT, the MRI of the brain. Although he did run other tests of the neck and spine, found a slight herniated disk on the spine along with other mild deformities, which he did diagnose cervial myeopathy, sent me to see a neurosurgeon for a consult, he determined that the CT, showed no reason for surgery at this time. When the neurosurgeon did further testing an exray showed a bone spur on the neck, he advised pt with traction which made my pain worse, he discontinued it. Please advise not sure what is going on I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I still have signs of stroke.

itmatsb replied to carmen50's response:
What are your signs of stroke?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Search non profit organizations that can help you in your area.
Search for non profit organizations that specialize in stroke and see if they can refer you to a Dr or Hospital. More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.