Skip to content
Vascular Dementia as the result of mini strokes
Anon_133615 posted:
Is any one out there dealing with Vascular Dementia as the result of mini strokes? My husband is only 62, former attorney, and now sleeps most of the day. His neurologist said this is like having a frontal labotomy. This, of course, had me crying for days. The good news is that my husband is very happy.

He will stay awake if there is an activity and he does not get overloaded with too much noise, lights, people. What I wonder is if I should just leave him along (which he would prefer) or try to engage him in daily activities--most of which he has rejected. He does see a personal trainer twice a week and does not leave the house other than that unless someone else has arranged an activity.

The strokes are the result of 45 years dealing with diabetes--the last few years as a frail diabetic. He now has the Dexcom Monitor which keeps him alive, but the damage has been done.
Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome to the community,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband and wanted to share this helpful Vascular Dementia Overview with you, as it explains much of what your husband has gone through and is at the moment.

"Vascular dementia can occur over time as "silent" strokes pile up. Quite often, vascular dementia draws attention to itself only when the impact of so many strokes adds up to significant disability. Avoiding and controlling risk factors such as diabetes , high blood pressure , smoking , and high cholesterol can help curb the risk of vascular dementia."

Please take care and speak with his doctor about any concerns that you have and handling things at home for him and yourself. I'm wishing you both the very best.

Take care!
Best Wishes!

Helpful Tips

Stroke and brain hemorrhage
My mom 68 had a stroke/hemorrhage 22 days before and released from hospital and move to rehab now. She is not responding very well but ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.