Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stoke and pain for months in back and neck
StephiLue posted:
I am 27 years old when this began. Two years ago I had a sever head-ace for a couple of weeks which would not go away. I finally went to the hospital for the pain, received an MRI and a numbing shot in the back of head and there was a specific area the pain was in. The headache went away.
One year later it returned. It started in my back on the right side and up through my neck was most severe in the same specific spot in the lower base of my skull. It increased and went into my eye and head. I was in such severe pain I truly at times wanted to die. Doctors kept giving me different pain killers, nothing worked. I was sent to a chiropractor who cracked my neck (having looked at me for two minutes) my pain became absolutely awful, my face went numb and I saw "lights and colors" for awhile. I went to Urgent Care that day who sent me to the ER and an MRI and MRA discovered several small strokes had occurred as a result of a deteriorating artery in my neck. I was on blood thinners for 6 months and a new MRI has shown healing. I still have no answers as to why this happened. I feel like doctors are not listening to me. I am in mild pain in the same area today, 1 year after my stroke and 6 months after having been taken off thinners.
I am having pain in my back, neck, arm and will get mild headaches in these specific regions noted above. I have received an MRI again showing "scarring" on my brain but nothing to indicate a problem. I have had several blood test and have only received a "MTHFR" problem but was told this should not cause anythingâ?¦?
I am horrified and stressed with this pain. I wonder if there is something else which could caused this and the strokes maybe occurred from some damage the chiropractor did to my already week back and neck as this is where the pain starts.
Just looking for possible ideas and direction. I have been to a blood doctors, personal physician and two neurologists. I can barley afford to live as my medical bills are so high and anything new I look into is said to be a "pre-egesting condition"

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi StephiLue,

I'm so incredibly sorry to hear about your situation and hope that things get better in the near future. According to this WebMD Chiropractors Overview , "Although rare, there have been cases in which treatment worsened a herniated or slipped disc, or neck manipulation resulted in stroke or spinal cord injury. To be safe, always inform your primary health care provider whenever you use chiropractic or other pain relief alternatives."

Also, this Neck Cracking Raises Stroke Risk article states that, "One of the leading causes of stroke before age 45 is something called cervical arterial dissection. That's when one of the two arteries that wind through the back of the neck to the brain starts to tear. The lining of the artery bleeds and forms a blood clot. This clot can easily enter the brain and cause a fatal stroke."

Supposedly this is very rare to happen, yet indeed there is some information out there that this could be possible in your situation. As far as your constant headaches, I encourage you to post your questions and concerns in our Migraines & Headaches Community for member and expert feedback. Also, you may consider visiting a headache clinic, if things do not get better.

I wish you the very best and hope that you will keep us posted!

Take care,
Amelia
Best Wishes!
Amelia

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.