Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Brain Vibration
bmcla posted:
I have been wakened up in the morning with an actual vibration in my head. It feels like it's in the area of my brain. I have been fully awake when it occurs. My doctor doesn't know what it is. Any ideas?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I don't know of anything that fits in the category of a "vibration" in the head. Some people "hear" or "feel" the blood going thru the blood vessels in their brain. This can be normal or associated with abnormal blood vessels in the brain. Likewise, inner ear problems and migraine phenomena can cause unusual sensations in the head.

Your best bet is to see a neurologist who can ask you questions about other symptoms that might lead to a diagnosis. They can decide if you need a MRI Scan of the brain. It may all turn out normal and your symptoms may fall into a category I call, "lifes unexplained events." I tell patients that they may fall in this category and their problem does not seem serious. We can just watch it.

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Nightauel replied to Richard C Senelick, MD's response:
I also have this vibrating feeling but to a very extreme degree. It started in my lower extremities and recently reached my c-spine and head. I've had MRIs of those areas in the last four months. Nothing. I have chronic sarcoidosis (lungs, kidneys, liver, lymph system) but no indication of neurosarcoid, no MS lesions, no tumors or other irregularities. I had a 4-level c-spine fusion with instrumentation about 5 years ago but there are no significant changes; the nerves are not compressed. I had chronic headaches before the surgery (migraines, clusters, muscle contraction, musculo-skeletal, sinus {which I'm told are an American construction and are actually migraines as well}) but there was no change expected after the surgery, nor was there any. The initial MRI to rule out any obvious brain problems or neck problems causing the headaches turned up the unstable neck. I still have headaches and I have since been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Because I have IBS (since birth) and RLS in addition to headaches since I was 13, my neuro thinks that if it had been defined then, I would have been diagnosed with fibro as a child. None of this explains the vibration. I've heard many, many people describe this same vibration to some degree or other, usually on a forum where there is no expert and only responses form other vibrating sufferers. It is pretty much as disabling as a migraine if in a different way, and of course I've done enough research to frighten myself to death. Dr. Senelick, this is NOT hearing or feeling blood going through the blood vessels in my head. It is constant, consistent, and goes from the top of my head down my spine to my feet. I've seen the ENT (I do have tinnitus, but nothing that relates to this). It has been going on for more than a year and it is NOT normal or one of "life's unexplained events." My own neurosurgeon and neurologist and my family doctor have discounted this symptom apparently because they're not familiar with it, but that doesn't diminish it for me. This is clearly a neuro symptom, but of what?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.