Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Mixed Feeling
mrbogey56 posted:
Survived an embolic or ischemic stroke Sept 2010, my affected side(left) is recovering very slow, somedays i think my recovery is taking baby steps but here in Oct 2011 i think my recovery has stalled, the affected side i think is not improving and i think taking a step backwards, i move very slow and my balance is shaky, has anyone been thru this? what and how i should think?

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
It is always difficult when a person reaches a plateau during their recovery. Likewise, it is difficult to know if a person's recovery has reached its peak or if they will be able to move off of the plateau they are on. The majority of recovery does take place in the first year, but that does not always mean that there is not room for more improvement in function.

I have found that when someone is in your situation, a year out from their stroke and at a plateau, it is best to get a complete reevaluation from a rehabilitation physcian along with occupational and physical therapists who specialize in stroke rehabilitation. They can help determine if there is a reason for your problems other than the stroke. They can also suggest "new" exercises and strategies that might move you off of your plateau. A "fresh" look at an old problem can uncover new ways to approach it.

Not all rehabilitation physicians specialize in stroke. Many take care of pain patients and sports injuries, so be sure you are referred to the right doctor. You can ask your primary care physician or call your local rehabilitation hospital and ask which doctor is the director of their stroke program.

Good Luck.
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

TooLuckyToBeAlive responded:
I believe I suffered an ischemic stroke. Resulting from a Staphylococcus Meningitis infection, following a series of serious cranial and adjacently abdominal surgeries to treat a Cerebral Aneurysm. The stroke I endured left myself, in a
"hemi paralyzed" state, which attacked majorly, my speech, cognitive, motor and several other functions, (the left hemisphere of my brain) The first part(aneurysm), was in 1999, and the stroke was in 2001, I for a long time now have went without really any kind of PT, OT, or ST.. being that I'm without Ins. This is due to my age, and understanding of the process. And so, I've been left alone to rehabilitate myself... for years. I have come so very far since then, but am still partially left with the "shakes", due to the deep neural pathways having been severed with the stroke. Ive researched so much about my predicament, and understand much about my situation. But I'm still left in a lurch about several things. my question, is what is the best therapy or training method to rehabilitate ones, shoulder, (left or not)
Respectfully yours
Waiting to Recover

TooLuckyToBeAlive replied to TooLuckyToBeAlive's response:
My entire Left apparatuses had been affected... "my left limbs", i.e., my left leg, foot, hand, eye, shoulder, etc.
Like the affected psychological aspect of; "mind", would the best form of therapy to recuperate(rebuild) myself physically, be "repetition"?

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.