Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
retinitis pigmantosa & moya moya syndrome
mrstreklady posted:
DR. I read some where that retinitis pigmantosa(my dad had this) can cause birth defects such as hearing loss & moya moya syndrome is that true?

my dad aslo had alzeimers & parkinson@ the same time my question is: what the percentage of risk like 10% or a 50% chance that i can devolp one or both eather parkinson or alzeimer when i get in my late 60s early 70s there is a family history of this on my dads side of the family.my dad was the only one to have both of these deasese.

Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
I am sure you are aware that retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a hereditary disease, but your chances of getting it varies greatly depending on which gene, if any, you inherited. That particular question is best answered by an opthalmologist.

I don't know of any relationship between RP and Alzheimer's Disease ( AZ) or Parkinson's Disease (PD). Both AZ and PD have a genetic component. It is only a minimal factor in PD, but is a greater factor in AZ. People who have a parent, brother, sister or child with AZ are more likely to develop the disease. I don't belive we know the exact figure, but is certainly less than 50%.

Age itself is the greatest risk factor for AZ. The risk of developing AZ doubles after age 65 years and after the age of 85 about 50% of people will have AZ.

There are some things you can do to help prevent AZ.
  • Control and limit your alcohol intake
  • Stay physically active
  • Keep your mind engaged with cognitive activities and social interaction

Good Luck
After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

Featuring Experts

Richard C. Senelick M.D. is a physician specializing in both neurology and the subspecialty of neurorehabilitation. He did his undergraduate and medic...More

Helpful Tips

Assistance with Expensive MedicationsExpert
I have had many patients whose pocket book is stretched by taking many expensive medications. One of the most useful Internet sites is ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.